Every year, around the Christmas holidays, the youth help prepare and serve a dinner for the seniors (age 60 and over) in our congregation. I always look forward to helping with this event. This year we had 23 that attended. We served baked ziti, salad, garlic bread and cheesecake for dessert.
Our decorations were pretty simple - scrapbook paper for place mats, ornaments in glass bowls for the centerpieces on the tables and tissue pom poms hanging from the ceilings. I had several of the pom poms left over from the youth party at my house the night before, so we used those and made a few more. And Erin and Grace made an ornament with "2011" on it for each guest to take home with them.
For entertainment, we had a mystery game "Who Kidnapped Rudy the Red-Nosed Reindeer" that I found online. It was a game that the youth had played the year before at their Christmas party and really enjoyed. It was pretty slow at the start, but as the game goes on it gets a lot more fun and is easier to figure out what you are suppose to do. I was worried at first, but I think everyone really enjoyed the game. It was HILARIOUS watching them act out their characters.
Jan, Becky and Annette
Joyce looking over her first clue card
The cards gave you instructions on what you were suppose to do. Like go find another character and tell them something about your character. Sandra was Mrs. Claus and I think Larry was Ebbie Smooge, Mrs. Claus' brother.
Courtney and Hailey
Not sure where Michael was heading with the knife
Courtney and Hailey checking to see if anyone needed more garlic bread
working behind the scenes
It was fun to watch everyone study their clues. They really played along well!
At the appropriate time, Denis who what the Gingerbread Man, got up and made a statement. His paper told him to tell everyone he was "gingerlicious" and it was SO funny!
Joyce played "Icey the Snowman" who was a budding rapper. Her paper told her to do a rap. I took a video and hope that you can play it. FUNNY!
Virgie was showing us her reindeer nose
Virgie, James, Frankye and Jim
Joyce, Venita, Robert, Vivian, Arlo and Denis
John Henry, Sandra, Joyce, Bettye and Larry
Lucille, Molly, Jo, Daphine and John
Sandra was the first to get up and announce who she thought the kidnapper was
It was really a fun night and I think all the seniors really enjoyed it!
After the seniors all left, the youth sat down and ate the same meal they had just served. And all that hard work had made them very hungry! A big thank you to the youth group for all your hard work!
No comments:
Post a Comment