9.13.2010

Class of 1990 - 20 year reunion

This past weekend was my 20 year class reunion. WOW - that makes me sound old! We had about 90 students in our graduating class, and 23 showed up at the reunion, all but 3 of them had their spouses with them. It was fun visiting and catching up with everyone. Even though I haven't seen some of my girlfriends in years, we picked up just like it was yesterday since we had seen each other. Lisa (Harris-Pence) and I started working on the the reunion back in April or May with a couple others, but in the end it was pretty much left up to me and her to finish it. We were able to get in touch with all but 11 classmates. I thought that was pretty good. We were a little disappointed that only 23 RSVP'd, but that is as many, if not more, than we had at our 5 year and 10 year reunions. Everyone there agreed they wanted a 25 year reunion in 5 years.

Just for fun, here is a picture of what extremely cool hair looked like in 1990! The trick was to use lots of hairspray and spritz (do they even make that anymore?) and a blow dryer to get the sides to stick out. Looking back, I really don't know what we were thinking... I am on the left, Angie Black Hughes in the middle and Melinda Harris Oats on the right.
Toy showed up Saturday morning to help us decorate. We had the reunion in the banquet room at the Ramada Inn.

The display table. I didn't get a picture after we finished it, but here it is in progress.


Since we really didn't have any extra money to decorate with, we chose the easy and cheap balloons to add some Patriot color.


After a 6 hour work day (felt more like 10!)

Amanda (Lewis) Coleman. She is currently living in DeSoto. She is a researcher for the UT Center for Brain Health and a Professor at Brookhaven College. She is currently working on her PhD.

Justin and Rod. I don't know if either of these two would have survived the evening without each other.

Toy (Varner) Wicker and her boyfriend.

Standing in the buffet line.

The Gordon's: Justin & Lezlie
Ahh....8th grade graduation. It was quite the event back in the day. I am 4th from the left in the beautiful blue ball gown and white elbow length gloves and the big hoop trying to escape out into the middle of the gym floor. I believe my mom still has that dress. Never know if the occasion may arise that someone needs to wear it.

Looking through old pictures
Me and Damon Clements. Damon was my next door neighbor growing up. He has an older brother the same age as my brother, and younger twin sisters the same age as my little brother. We use to all hang out together. Damon's band was the entertainment for the night.
Kandy (Reid) McIntire and her husband. Susan (Richey) Ballabina and her husband Eddie.
Me and Lezlie. One time while spending the night with Lezlie (we were Freshman), we thought it would be cool to ride her next door neighbor's dirt bike. Not a smart idea since I had never rode one before. I made the mistake of not asking where the breaks were before I got on. Drove it straight thru a barbed wire fence. After 40 stitches in my neck and 20 stitches in my side, I found out where the breaks were. Needless to say, I am not fond of dirt bikes.
Shane, Rod and Justin had loads of fun. Just look at them!
Me and Susan (Richey) Ballabina. Susan was one of my very best friends. She was Valedictorian of our class. So it is no surprise that she has a master in communications, and a PhD in public affairs. She is the Regional Program Director for Texas AgriLife Extension Service. She went to Tarleton, and every since she found out that is one of the schools Michael is considering next fall, she is pushing for him to go there. I really do think he would like it there. Susan has a 3 year old and an 11 month old baby.

Me and Lisa (Harris) Pence. It was a lot of fun planning the reunion with her. She currently lives in Quitman. She is a stay at home mom and a full time student working on her teaching degree.
Teri (Shelby) Moody and Camille (Sparks) Click
Me and Trevor Upchurch. Trevor and I attended the junior prom together. He now teaches at Prairiland and has Courtney in his history class this year. He is the same Trevor he has always been - crazy!
Me and Melinda (Harris) Oats. Melinda and I were pretty much glued at the hip all 4 years of high school. We had so much fun together and did a lot of goofy things - like dressing the same for school almost every day(and it wasn't even twin day)....ha

Michael Alberts and his wife Brenda. Michael currently in remission with Stage 3 brain cancer.

Damon and his band "Days of Gray." Damon has unbelievable talent! It really wouldn't surprise me if he becomes really famous some day! They put on a great show for us.
Forced smiles. Shane, Rod and Justin
Me and Brandon Oats. Brandon was Courtney's basketball coach last year. Brandon won the award for least amount of hair.

Damon talked Amanda into singing with him. She agreed only after he said he would play a gospel song. She sang "Amazing Grace" and it was awesome! I literally got goose bumps!

Clowns will always be clowns. Trying to get a group shot of all the classmates.

I was pleasantly surprised that Rod stayed the entire evening. Even when he had his own ride there and could leave whenever he wanted. He helped tear down decorations and load them in the car. He is such a good husband. Even though I know he only stayed because Justin didn't have a vehicle there and couldn't leave. So, basically, he was staying for Justin, not for me. But...he did stay :)































No comments:

Post a Comment